Being in a motor vehicle accident can leave you feeling confused, shaken, angry or scared. Having a car accident checklist on hand can make the situation less stressful so you can get the important information you need. Print this checklist and keep it in the glove compartment in your vehicle in case of an accident.
The following items should be kept in your car in case of a car accident:
- Driver’s license. Carry it with you — on your person, whenever you operate a vehicle.
- Vehicle registration. You are required by law to have this in the car at all times.
- Insurance documentation, including your carrier, policy number, and the phone number to call in case of an emergency.
- A flashlight
- A disposable camera or camera phone so that you can take photos of damages and the accident scene.
- A mobile/cell phone
- First Aid Kit, water, flare, flat fix-it kit, etc.
- Paper and pencil to exchange contact information with the other driver.
At the Accident
- Try to remain calm!
- If you are blocking traffic in a dangerous place, pull off to the side of the road or into a well-lighted parking lot.
- Turn off your vehicle’s engine and either wait for assistance or, if it is safe, step out of your car.
- Are you or your passengers injured? Check and seek medical assistance immediately if necessary. Use your cell phone to call 911 (Emergency) and ask for an ambulance if you believe you need medical attention.
- Exchange names, addresses, license and insurance information with all parties involved in the accident. Gather information on any witnesses who may have seen the accident. Note the weather, road and lighting conditions, and any other pertinent details. Get as much information as you can.
- Be courteous and tactful to all parties.
- If you are able, take pictures of the damage to your car and the area of the accident. Use a camera/cell phone or the disposable camera in your car.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Call P&B Auto Body at 860-584-8115 for assistance with towing, transportation, insurance claims reporting, a rental car, and repairs to your vehicle.
After the Accident
- Do not drive your car if it is unsafe. If you can safely drive your vehicle, bring it to P&B Auto Body as soon as possible.
- If you cannot drive your car or if you are not sure if it is safely operable, call P&B Auto Body. P&B can assist you with towing, transporting you and your passengers to safety, handling the insurance claim, renting a car (if necessary), and repairing damages to your car.
- You have the right to go to the repair shop of your choice. Your insurance company or the other drivers insurance cannot require you to go to a particular repair shop.